Thursday, May 3, 2018

SpringTomb - Playing Frostgrave again.

Hello everyone.

Last night I met up with Tim, one of the fellows whose played a few games of Hail Caesar with us as his Imperial Romans.  He was interested in Frostgrave, and I myself, having experience playing against my wife in the past, decided to introduce the game to him. 

Unlike my Hail Caesar games, I didn't really write up a battle report, since the game is a little more fast paced, and there's less time between phases to really take photos. So here's the photos I took of our game.

We have no snow, so we're renaming the game to SpringTomb.
Here's the quality and non-quality photos.  It covers two games in our starting campaign.  You can see how the terrain gets mixed up between game 1 and 2. 







Tim's Barbarian didn't really fight this game. He picked up treasure and started to leave. 






Game 2 had a really nice castle wall spanning across the map. Whoever made it for the gaming store did a crazy good job,even if the grass didn't match my gaming mat.  
















We're playing on about 5 x 5 feet board, which is large for Forstgrave, but makes for a lot of space for ruins and terrain.   We used a number of different pieces in the two games we had , I'd say about half of them being Tims, and the other half being the gaming stores.

Tim made use of  a mixture of some beautiful Otherworld Miniatures and his Gamesworkshop Necromancer.  Otherworld Mini's are excellent for games like this and he had prepared and painted them extremely well.   I used a mixture of my old  Mordheim and GW wizard conversions, and some Black Tree Design Medieval Knights.  


We've also started to dwell into the campaign aspect of the game.  Tim is using a Necromancer, and his signature spell seems to be Bone Dart, which is a lot more annoying than I thought it would be!  I am a Soothsayer with my wonky Empire converted Wizard, wearing a Landsknect hat, and I don't really have much for assault spells, though I can buff up my soldiers to quite a degree.  He's taken the Crypt as a base, and I took the Inn.

In the first game, my wizard was hit by a bow was taken right out, thanks to a critical hit on a roll of 20, but he survived.  I only made off with two out of four of the treasures.. where in the next game I lost quite a few soldiers but they all survived, including the pre-painted Dungeons and dragons dog-wolf I bought there on the spot to add to my party.  In our second game we both ended up getting 3 treasure tokens, but Tim almost lost his apprentice, and I killed off his newly hired Ranger with my Knight (Sir Bob Dylan) and Men-at-arms (Donald Trump).  I buffed up my Knight pretty good and he was a magnet for arrow fire,  was able to block everything shot at him, and also really only had major fights mostly against ranged soldiers and the apprentice,  which I think ultimately ended up giving me the fighting advantage for the second game.


After the first game, I was behind in resources and experience, but in the second game I ended up getting more experience overall thanks to me spamming Will Power on all my soldiers.  As long as you cast spells your experience can slowly build up.  At the end of our first two games Tim's Necromancer is level 3, and my soothsayer 4, Tim's got tons of Grimoires and a Robe of Arrow Repellent, and I've got scrolls and a belt of Animal repel. .  .

We may eventually in cooperate wandering monsters but for now I think we're both content just fighting each other.

Thanks for reading! We'll play again next Wednesday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment