Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Side Project: First Foray Into Gaslands

Hello, everyone!

I was talking to a fellow wargamer Mark Hazell (awesome painter!) last night and he mentioned that he had played a game called Gaslands.  I had never heard of the game or anything like that with minis...  I've been into games like Warhammer, Mordheim, Frostgrave, and then more recently turned my eyes towards Ancients after age of sigmar came out. I've been basically staying in the historical and light fantasy realm of it all, but after explaining to me that the game involves Post-apocalyptic race car driving I had to look it up, and even after reading a few descriptions (haven't even got into the rule book)  I knew this game would be for me. 

https://gaslands.com/about/   This is where I started my research, and I quickly saw examples, what to get, how to convert.. and well.. Twisted Metal came to mind.  As a kid and teen Twisted Metal was probably one of the playstation games I played the most for multiplayer modes, and I loved the idea of all these twisted cars and abominations clashing and destroying each other.  I am no big Sci-Fi or futuristic , apocalyptic fan , but there are always, always exceptions.  To me this game screams video game Nostalgia, except now I can throw it into my hobby now.   

Never did it once dawn on me, despite all those miniature genres and game types out there, would a game like this (or other similar games, there are other car games like!) exist, so despite being heavily into ancients these days, I just immediately knew I had  to dive into this one. 

And it is by far, the cheapest mini game I've ever invested in.

At first I checked on eBay and Alibaba, but found that even there it would not be worth shipping and the wait. Currently, I am unemployed, aiming to be Self-employed, but the government also requires me to look for work to get employer insurance from them.  And I must keep track of my work finding efforts.. so I just headed over to a Dollar Store to buy a notebook for job hunting recording purposes..  and I also did some car shopping.




So here's the selection of cars they had. They were just randomly assorted on the wall.. it wasn't as many as I thought they'd have.

 
And some cars.. were . . like, what? How can you drive in these? I didn't know Hotwheel made cars that made no sense. I could see myself ripping these apart and taking the pieces and modifying


 
Uh, Okay?
 I could see these being very interesting to convert, but I decided to stick with cars that were a bit more car-like and not.. weird. 




 Okay, now we were talking....




 
Matchbox and Hotwheels were more or less the suggested 1:64 size. I'll just stick to that.



Got it just because its Fast and Furious. Going to enjoy tricking this one out. 



And had to get the smallish garbage truck thing. 



And this one was almost a no, but I figured the engines looked sweet 




Finally I bought some sink strainers, or whatever they're called. I see lots of examples online where the people who have done these conversions have caged windows instead of glass, and I figured that If I just trim up these and re-purpose them properly then I can do the same. 



Popped them all open at home.  The Tractor thing had lots of conversion potential... 




These will be my sleek, fast cars, probably put some guns on them. No idea how to outfit them, but I'll just look for examples online and mix them up for my own use. 



Figured a hummer and a truck would be appropriate 



A spiderman car.. electro was it? I don't know. I don't really care for superheroes, but the shape of that car will have some lovely weapons on them. 

This one was raised up, and had a lovely engine in the back that is just screaming to be painted.


I'm no sci-fi expert, nor know much about cars, but the idea of destruction with cars in the manner that this game seems to portray is just too exciting, and thus, these will be the cars I work with first. 

I need to find out what pieces and parts to add to the conversions.  I am thinking some 40 K bits from eBay, guitar strings, pipping, some plasticard , small bolts / screws.. spikes. There's so many things I could put together. 

So that is my first step.  I have no schedule for this project as my Ancients and cousin's dungeons and dragons commission stuff will still take priority , but this side project is looking like it will be a heck of a lot of fun.

Thanks for reading! Hope to add more to it next time!




4 comments:

  1. The gameplay is pretty fantastic, too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to eventually doctoring up these cars!!!

      Delete
  2. Welcome aboard the gaslands train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the train is also decked out like the cars are :P

      Delete