Friday, May 11, 2018

SpringTomb: FrostGrave Games 3 and 4

Hello again everyone!

Tim and I met up once again to keep playing SpringTomb (FrostGrave).

We did some final touch up and tweaks with gold spending and item allocating before heading off into the game. This time we played a standard game again, but added monster encounters... Not a single monster spawned!

Game 3




My apprentice did not last long. He was taken out by arrow fire almost immediately into the game. It did not bode well for me. 





See? He died according to this picture. Actually, he didn't die. He escaped, unscathed! But that arrow knocked him out for awhile.

The first game was interesting - It seemed that Tim was going to roll me over since he took my apprentice and some other key soldiers out almost immediately, but I made quite the come back: My wizard casted a high roll that I empowered by trading  HP to add to its power.. all done on a spell I know called Mind Control and landed it on one of Tim's Knights.  His Knight followed my commands and could not break the will control over him for the whole game, and he ended up slaying his thief buddy, and trapping Tim's apprentice, which also got caught up against my attack dog and a thug, and all three of them smashed her out of the game - the result being that the apprentice and her leg were permanently damaged, meaning she only moves 5 inches now instead of 6!

I also sent one of my own thugs up the side of a chimney that took him the whole game to climb.. only to grab a treasure token. Then I had him voluntarily jump off, fall to the ground, and he died.  Well, in the between game dice rolls  he ended up only being badly wounded, but I always fire thugs, thieves, and dogs and hire new ones if this happens, so thanks to this Thug I was able to get a treasure at the cost of him being injured.. maybe for the rest of his days. I don't know. I wont hire him again! Sorry, Bob.

So what looked like a major victory for Tim turned around. We both lost our apprentices, but his ended up getting the worst of it!  At least now she and the heavy knight can stride hand in hand!


Game 4

This time we decided to select a scenario - The Worm Hunts.. I think it's called. Basically there is a chance that the Giant Worms erupts from the earth at a treasure token, and it's quite the monster to fight. Luckily (and sadly, we were looking forward to it!) the Worm did not spawn at all in game!


Same road.. just further down the map. We just switched some terrain and added some new stuff. 






This centre piece above, the black looking ruin was very interesting. It seemed to be made out of high durable rubber, like .. out of tires.  Very well done, very tough, but also seemed flexible? I'll have to figure it out because it was quite light weight. 

This was my favourite spots of the game.  Tim is notorious for spamming Bone Dart (Which he's brought down to its minimal casting value) and so at some point in the game he had his Necromancer use the spell leap to leap up to the top of that black building and hang out behind one of the windows.  There the wizard was flinging magically created bones down at my henchmen.

He did not know that I had given my apprentice a Scroll of Push.  The Spell Push for me needs something like a 10 or a 12 to cast , but since Scroll casting is automatically, it succeeded.. and I pushed his wizard back, off the edge, and he fell to the ground, taking some major HP damage. It was quite entertaining and the wizard survived the initial fall, albeit losing a massive amount of HP. Not quite enough to be wounded though, and the wizard kept firing bone darts from the first level of the building.









Here a thug climbed up a tower to grab treasure - right in front of this ruined tower was a series of mazes that Tim's Barbarian and Man-at-arms ran in to ransack - unknown to the two the treasure inside was the fake one placed by my spell Fool's Gold that I cast before the game started.  What happened was that I ended up mind controlling his man-at-arms and a number of my guys and the newly mind-controlled soldier ended up taking out the Barbarian.  Afterwards, I had his man-at-arms climb up the side of a 5 inch tall wall and leap off continuously until he died.. Mind Control is an awesome but scary spell!

Luckily his Barbarian survived the encounter but will miss the next game due to heavy injuries. At least he kept his magically enchanted sword!



A dog and a knight brave the open road while constantly being harassed by Bone Darts and Crossbow Fire.  The dog got struck down eventually, but survived!


These two dice represent a thing that happened - Tim was on his way out, deciding to be conservative with his remaining soldiers. On his right side of the board, having obtained enough treasure to satisfy his plundering,  his Knight (that took out a crossbowman)  lost a good chunk of HP while one of his Crossbowmen in the black building described earlier had been taken out.  His wizard was at an old black building doorway and was about to leave but my Infantryman intercepted him.  We both rolled to fight and we both rolled 20's , which in FrostGrave means simultaneous Critical Hits.

His wizard took out my Infantryman, while my Infantryman also took out his wounded Wizard.  It was a glorious trade off for me.  Fortunately for Tim the Wizard survived that encounter with no major wounds.  My infantry man got the worst of it, and like Tim's Barbarian has to sit out the next game. Unlike my Thug, I will let him recover from his wounds since he is a bit more expensive than a mere 20 gold.

It was a great fourth game. I ended up getting 4 / 6 of the treasures, so it was a good haul for me, making up for my lousy first game.   One zombie managed to spawn on the field but since our games are on about 5 x 5 mat, the Zombie just sort of wandered around and did nothing.  The infamous Worm also did not spawn anywhere... despite this, it was an exciting fourth round.

I ended up buying a Robe of Arrow Guard (or whatever it is) only to find another. Sadly, it doesn't affect Bone Dart, but at least now both my Wizard and Apprentice should be somewhat safer against crossbowmen.  I also earned a bunch of gold, some potions, and have quite a few Grimoires after the last two games.  Tim's apprentice is dubbed the Knight Killer because so far her most epic kills have been against Knights - a Critical from a dagger through the helmet, bone darts from afar.  She may have a wrecked leg now but at least she's still a force to be reckoned with!

We'll be playing again next Thursday!  With our modified monster chart and the scenarios we may play, the game will only become more and more interesting!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment