So While I've been painting a long for a time now, I've been putting my first project aside. That was, the Roman Republicans that I used to paint. Now, I never lost interest but had been working on the for so long and with their eventual destruction at the hand of a child, I've now decided to make a come back.
I'll finish some more medievals before jumping back into it, but the idea here is to use the Peter Denis style of painting to do them up. that is, focus more on his paper soldier style but apply it to my minis.
The plans to run republican romans are as follows:
Use whites and reds and typical roman colors, but change the tunics up for variation. I will use red and wash it as per the norm, but whites should avoid washing.
Skin should also try without washes to better blend. too dark seems a bit off to me at times. I'll also add in the eyes properly.
The idea is to create a Hail Caesar force and the units will be broken up into the small forces like before...
Roman Legion:
2x Hastati
2x principes
1 x triarii
Skirmishing units (Leves or velites)
Allied Legion
2x Hastati
2x principes
1 x triarii
skirmishing units (Leves or velites)
Cavalry unit
(I need to see what I have, but basically I can do mixed punic riders of Italian types, or do Roman riders from aventine. the idea here is to also have 4 units of cav at least)
After that, I can add in punic mercenaries were they be.
For the Roman legion, I'd stick to the basics. Give them the basic helmets with feather plumes for Hastati and principles, while the triarii would have fancier helmets, albeit not too fancy.
Meanwhile, the allied legions would be decked out in all sorts of various paraphernalia.
I'd be mixing shields and colours, like you see on Peter Dennis' cut outs. I think that would look best!
Units are small as well so hopefully it would not take too long.
So between posting the projects I was doing with late Hundred Years War and Kickstarter, I ended up playing a game of SPQR, or rather, a bit of it while it was on demonstration. They've really revised the rules, so the game is better than before. It's not as deep as the rank and file battles (literally and figuratively), but it was enough to make me further want to get back into my old ancients, so I dug them out again.
A few years ago in the Lead Adventure Forums I started this blog and now wish to continue it. For what I have now is as follows for the Hail Caesar! set up:
2 units of Italian warriors
1 small unit of allied Triarii
1 small unit of light italian infantry.
various commanders, though I think since I am starting a new, I am going to also paint new ones.
This is enough for one division of Hail Caesar. I also have a single unit of Hastati and Velites as well as an elephant Numidian crew, but I think those will be extras for other games or I'll lend them to new wargamers that want to try Hail Caesar while I repaint everything.






No comments:
Post a Comment