Thursday, February 14, 2019

Work on Lions Rampant - Hundred Years War.

Hello everyone.
I went away overseas to Taiwan to celebrate Chinese New Years, but now I am back and the first major works of 2019 have begun. Here's what I've got on the go.

These were all from one box set - The Agincourt French Infantry set from Perry Miniatures. An awesome box, one that I highly recommend - though there are some fiddly bits in there one must be careful when assembling!

All the bases are Victrix standard 20x20mm bases.
Schiltron Sergeants are done (12 guys) - I will put in a flag / banner / device  or two on some of these guys. Probably St. Denis, or something.  Or The King's standard.



The Dismounted Men-at-arms (6 guys)  will have a single standard within them, while the rest of them I plan to decorate with their emblems and such. Not sure what I will do with that yet. 


All the Crossbowmen are done (12 men) - I will not put a standard here. I thought it would be weird.    


And the Expert Sergeants are decked out in mostly axes, poleaxes, swords, one guy with a warhammer.. . I'm going to put a single spearman in this group just so this unit can also have a standard to fly around.  Just a few more to build and the plastics are all done (for a total of 12 again). 




After all of this I only have metal mounted sergeants to build up (6 of them).  Some trim ups and a bunch of green stuff, probably add in some extra side arms and bucklers hanging off the belts of some dudes and they're ready to prime!  I have more Cavalry, and more metal men at arms, but I think I'll hold off on them for now, and just get the main force out. 

For the Standards themselves - I don't like the quality of the Perry booklet standards/flags that were included, and I think they're rather small.   What's popular and available to buy out there for the Late Hundred Years War is typically just the Knights who died at Agincourt, and standard French banners. I prefer having something not really bound to Agincourt.   What I'd really like to do is put more of the city flags in there - Paris, Rouen, etc... as the majority of my forces are non-noblemen.  I'm also going to one of the Blue flag / Cross of one of the saints in there, that were often seen in the French army (St. Marten or Denis, I think!)   For the Sergeants Cavalry I think I'll have some Horse Commanders and smaller flags on more than one of the lances / spears.My biggest problem here is that I'll have to print off the ideal size and get good paper for them. What's out there is simply not really what I am after for banners and flags.  

You can see all the other Hail Caesar! stuff I will paint in the background there too.. haha, too many projects on the go! I won't be building anything until these things on the desk are all covered in paint!

That is it for now! Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment