In the last blog post I looked at all the work I had done in 2018 - mostly Republican Romans with the odd side project.
Well, 2019 should be no different. The Republican Romans are still the main game plan until they are complete. However, I am fortunate enough to have met a few enthusiastic wargamers in the area and some of us have been meeting up when we can to do painting and gaming. As a result, a number of us have agreed to get into Lions Rampant and start collecting and doing up some late 100 year war scenarios.
I'm finding it is good to have a "side project" when you're doing a main one. For me, it was painting up Celtic cavalry, Celtic civilians, terrain, or FrostGrave figures while I'd still be working on one main Roman army. Back in my Warhammer days I'd collect so many different models but never actually finish any full forces because I'd get so distracted from doing Bretonnians or the Empire, and I'd drop it, get bored, and end up not painting it. Luckily since I've got into ancients I can at least focus on doing one army, but when it does get repetitive doing the same unit, I can jump into something else.
This is why Lion's Rampant is a good idea - it doesn't use so many soldiers and it is a quick game that a few of us share interest in. This way we can all work on projects that interest us, but do a smaller one that gets us all wargaming at the same time.
Originally the project was going to be miniatures for Mortal Gods, a Greek / Hoplite skirmish game coming out in March which I will probably still buy, but since there seems to be more interest in the 100 years wars in our group, I'm going to stick with the excellent Perry Miniatures and start working on them as soon as possible.
Of course, one side project is not enough, and I've got a few basing projects that I've put off for years.. and should probably do!
Here's my current painting work - Black Tree Design Cretan archers. Some interesting sculpts that match the size proportions of Victrix. They're pretty simple models and I've been painting through them steadily.

I wasn't going to add any fancy markings and leave the tunics plain, but then I did more research and saw Greek clothing.. and yeah. At least add the line along the bottom of their clothes!
Next, my work table of things being built, and unfinished!

It's not so bad and is rather organised considering my old set up. I cleaned up my room after the New Year and everything is in order, so it is easy to find stuff.

Here's some Perry Mounted Sergeants. For Lion's Ramapant I've stuck with Sergeants instead of Knights (aka mounted Men-At-Arms)... Might sound weird since I'll be playing as the French, but it's just my personal preference.

Here's some of the foot sergeants I'll be doing - the spear wielding Schiltron variety. I really like how they're looking, and love their poses. Plus, the Perry brothers keep everything very well proportioned. A bit of green stuff on the gaps of these guys will set them up right!
I've also based all my infantrymen on 20x20 mm victrix bases. If I need to use them in Rank and File games, then they're also set.

Here's my dismounted Men-at-arms in plastic. I did not enjoy building them and found their visors annoying, but they're done now!

Here's the "Expert Sergeants" and the Crossbowmen. Expert Sergeants drop the spear and schiltron and replace them for Two handed weapons. I have two metal guys there that looks like they're poorer than the other metal Knights.. so I will most likely use them as these sergeants.

as I mentioned, I did not like assembling those plastic foot knights.. so I went and bought a handful of perry metal ones. I prefer how these ones look, plus they've got a few English- style variety mixed in there... their weapons were also more interesting than the plastic ones (they have axes, bec de corb, Vogues, halberds..)

Here's a whole bunch of guys that are done, but either broken in some way, need a touch up where paint chipped off, or need some basing done. Mostly fantasy stuff I painted a few years ago.

Terrain on CD bases that I am working on - making some for Tim S as he helped support me in my Kickstarter and I'm giving him a few of these. CD's, rocks, super glue, texture paint, wash, static grass.. all good!
I Trireme I finished washing, but never got around to finishing... should probably finish this one !

And then the bloody Imperial Romans and single Briton casualty that I haven't finished. Was designing them for the games Graham and I were gaming when he brought his models around, but he's quite far away and rarely comes around, so this has taken low priority.
That's about all of it! Got half a Republican Roman army to finish as well as all this other stuff. I want to finish building all my Lion Rampant guys, and finish a few more bases soon, since I will be out of country for three weeks come this end of January.
There is much to paint and do once I get back! It is always good to have myriad projects on the go.. but not too many that one feels flabbergasted. So hopefully I am not overdoing it!
Cheers for now. Next update I am thinking I'll have some painted Lion Rampant's stuff to show!




No comments:
Post a Comment