Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Warlord Games - Metal Sizes. BE CAREFUL!

Hello everyone. Just a quick update. I've been painting my Persians. Finished a few of my Levy troops.

The Persian army according to Herodotus and what was left behind by the Persian / Greek arts, was apparently multiethnic and had all sorts of people. I have a majority of Persian Sparabara and Persian horsemen and my disposal but I also wanted to represent the multiethnic units, so for my levy spearmen unit I'm going to mix up the shields, armors and looks using multiple and various miniatures and pieces from Black Tree Designs, Victrix, and Wargames Factory. I just have to finish the eye pupils and bases, then these fellows here are a good start, I think!
I am trying to put a mixture of all the Satraps and different sorts of men that would have been levied.  It's very interesting and will make for a colourful unit. It is more likely that historically these men would fight in their own units with their fellow men from the same Satrap, but in order to do that I'd have to go out and buy all sorts of units for each Satrap!  That's too many Satraps and one too many units for me to paint up!   Additionally, many of the models will be multipurpose, as in they can act as skirmishers or warriors for other armies that may have slave / mercenary forces.  The Illyrians for example , fielded quite a few armed slaves in their battles.  

And now in regards to the title of the post. I received some Warlord games models and would like to point out the big difference in SIZES!  I have mentioned their plastics vary in size in my previous post, but their metals are all over the place! 

On the left you have the Gaul Standard Bearer beside a Greek Strategos .  The Greek might seem a little smaller, but size wise I feel they match up fairly alright.  But look at Vercingetorix! Holy!! What sort of pork is this Gaul eating? He is HUGE! 




You can see in my couple of photos (that I took poorly with the phone)  that Vercingetorix is huge!  Heroic even!  I have found that despite models being all from the same company, their production sizes are all over the places, in both metals and plastics... Vercingetorix beside his fellow Gauls is also monstrous.

Now, he will be a general indeed. He is a massive warrior, and has every right to lead from the front.  But he would never be something I'd personally  put in a Warband for aesthetic reasons... All in all, they're all wonderful, detailed models, but their model sizes are all over the place. It seems their newer plastic models that exist for the Caesarian age are a tad bit larger than other minis in their other series, but their newest metal models from the age of Caesar are quite massive.  If you see my Optio in the last post he is also rather large. This is a huge difference from their original Imperial Romans! 

I like them all, but some of them simply cannot be fielded side by side, or else they'll look ridiculous!  Fortunately the bulk of all companies and their range's regular footmen at least match up with one another.  Small variations are fine, but in the case of Vercingetorix here .. well. You can make your own opinion! 

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, i'm currently painting vercingetorix and he is colossal:) Very nice detailed figure though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's a great mini - but it is huge.

      I suppose that it is fitting, as he is supposed to be the last hero of Gaul, yes? Warlord newer metals seem a bit bigger than their greeks and persians that is for sure!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete