Saturday, November 6, 2021

Perry Plastic Foot Knights. Love em, but some questions about the armor.

 So my buddy Gus, a fellow local hobbyist and an insanely good builder of terrain and scenery, has been working diligently for a few years on his Medieval board and 15h century England and European Continental setting and every time I've been over to his place to check out his stuff I'm always inspired. He is always working solo on his projects and I am the type of person who feels that if you actually get a chance to game and play with friends with stuff, you feel way more motivated to see stuff in action. Not only that, but you can use your own terrain and get feedback from someone other than yourself while you game (I am a strong believer in constructive critique and multiple opinions). So I thought I'd go along with the Agincourt era stuff he has got done and do a small project to game with him on his amazing board sometimes. I've always had the want to do up a small medieval force anyways since 1450-1600 has all sorts of amazing minis I would love to do. 

While 1400-1450 isn't my initial choice, it would still be amazing to do and he has a lot of individual skirmish based Agincourt and on type troops done up, so I figured I'd do up a small retinue of foot knights and mounted knights to play with him. I would love to do more scenery stuff but my current work and home set up is not ideal for it. So I stick to mini painting.

Anyways - I've got the Perry Foot Knights, newer mounted knights, and sergeants. I've experienced the sergeant box set before so understand the problem with glueing two handed weapons together. However, I never put together the knights on foot and this is the first time I've put them together. 


They're great minis but I am wondering if I am the only one who struggles with putting on closed Klappvisors... ill just call them visors for now. 

I try to remove as much mold lining as I can, build my guys, then go back and wash / remove more mold lines, then wash a second time after.  So these guys look messy but they'll be great when I am done cleaning em. 





Here's two lads I did recently. Take note at the first picture - the visor is down, but there's two small studs - lets call them hinges, on the sides of the helmets. The visors , when put over the face, do not seem to really connect well and you have a large gap between the " stud " and the visor. If you have the visor open, they connect much closer together as seen in the third picture. 

Now, this problem is persistent in all the foot knight visors. I tried to "bend" them a bit wider, but that doesn't seem to help. 


As you can see on this messy lad, I tried to squeeze / force it farther by bending the visor out to match the two knobs. They don't quite reach though. It's also hard to make them sit properly near them. 


Now, I've put some of the Mounted Knight's visors on the foot infantry as seen above with the axe wielder and two handed sword man. The mounted knights are much newer models, and I found their proportions and visors match up well on their mounted knight bodies. So I put some on the infantrymen to compare. These ones seem to cover and reach the studs proper, but they seem a bit too large for the foot men. When painted up I ams are they'll be fine, but they stretch out wide and a bit long. They do however, seem to match the proper placement of where those studs are supposed to go. 


So I am just wondering if anyone else noticed this issue. It's probably the best Kit I've put together for knights in plastic - but the little thing with the helmets is bugging me. Am I over thinking it? Probably, but in all depictions, art, and replica I see those two little studs are where the visor is held together. 


The second thing I want to address is mold lines, especially on greaves.  Either side has two noticeable lines.  I have not removed these, or if I have, I've made the front part of the greave slightly lower, but the line is still noticeable. I think the mould lines were built here on purpose - as the graves are generally supposed to be two pieces and buckle or attach inside the leg. Is this accurate, or should some be shaven completely clean? I think the latter is wrong but would love some input. 

Here's the 9 I've put together so far. When I initially put guys together I always shave excess plastic, remove mold lines, and the end result of glueing is messy. A wash with water, double check, followed by a second wash before I prime will clean them up beautifully. 











Cheers! 








No comments:

Post a Comment