Saturday, June 16, 2018

Wings of Glory (war?)

Hello everyone!

Last Thursday Tim and I played our last game of Frostgrave for about a month. He has to go overseas on a work related trip, and so I will not have an opponent for a little while.  When he returns we may jump right into Hail Caesar! though, as I may have some Principes ready to do a small game!

Anyway, our next two games of Frost Grave were really simple. No crazy scenarios, just treasure hunting in the ruins.














To be honest, I don't really remember what happened where and when because it has been too long since I posted and played the last game. You can see we added some more "bridge" elements by putting the ol pillar up leaning from ruin to ruin.  There was a lot of bone dart and mind controlling. Tim didn't collect so much treasure but he was able to get quite a bit of experience. Soldiers died, people cried, but we are done playing until he gets back.



Also, the Summer Skirmish in Calgary came along and I went to the Military Museum with the other Tim I know to check out the wargaming and cool stuff there.  They had Wings of War (Glory?) going on, and it was the first time I played this sort of template moving card game.

In this scenario we had to take out 4 massive German Bombers and the Red Baron Himself! 







This was the plane I was piloting. See if you can match the card to the plane on the board .



All was going well but then the pilot next to me decided to turn.. and we took some damage from smacking into each other.   Tim's 



I ended up crashing and dying, because we kept hitting each other. The Blue Plane went on, but eventually also crashed into the enemy plane... 


So then I got a respawn! 



A lot of people played this game and each turn took quite a long time... It was pretty time consuming when every person was a plane!   And they let new people on as old players died, which was fine as they wanted to show off the game - but at a club I wouldn't ever want to have so many around one table!


You can see the homemade painted cotton swab, smoking and planes that were on fire! 


I decided to do some evasive moves and come round the side, hopefully to flank these bombers with my second plane. Tim's plane was off somewhere behind them all as he flew through the first encounter.  But he was going to come back and nail them. 


Flying off only to...

Turn around!



But if you notice my plane here is on fire again, because team mates travelling from the front attacking the bombers flew right through them and crashed into me... So I ended up crashing a second time.

So that ended my flight career. Twice.
And then the bombers bombed our food tents, and all was lost.

Game over - those bombers were tough.  Although we did run out of time as the final events in the Summer Skirmish were going down.

All in all I think Wings of Glory is a cool game. The only issue was that there were far too many players at once and for beginners it was a little hectic and a lot of wait time. Regardless, I enjoyed it. I would play again. Tim explained this is how X-wing and those other styled games also work. Maybe I'll get into later.



Here's some shots from the rest of the Summer Skirmish at the Military Museum. Enjoy.





This little cannon made me want to get into Pike and Shotte.. 









Thought I had uploaded more.. ah well


Anyways, that's it for now! I recently bought Pike and Shotte, some Imperial Infantry, and a cannon. Tim who went with to Summer Skirmish with is interested in the 30 years war and wants to play as Sweden, so I thought, after seeing and being influenced by all those guns at the skirmish, that I'd like to also try out the game. I'll be rolling as the HRE!

Thanks for reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment