Hey everyone. Just want to update on the Republican Roman's I've been painting - and to show you just how few models I've actually done. Many more will be finished, soon!!!!
There's all the painted Historics I own =p. Just need the final Highlights on Romans and the bases will be done soon. Then everything is perfect.
You will see that when model's eyes get too small I tend to leave the pupil out of the eye, so they look like they're ghastly or monstrous , but on the tabletop from above nobody really notices. Every time I try to dab black into the middle of their tiny eyes, it messes it up. I've tried the whole paint the whole eye black then paint white around the pupil thing but it does not work for me.
I am content with all my work and feel it is all tabletop worthy. However, I really messed up the Bronze on the Roman's armor this time. I used Citadel paints and did their layer / highlight basic techniques that many people use.. following something like this:
Balthasar gold > Sepia wash > Scorax Bronze Layer > Edge Highlights with Auric Gold >Sepia wash to kill shine
My big deal I think, was that I used what Gamesworkshop has labeled as a brighter highlight as a layer and my fellows armors turned out way too shiny! I just dimmed it down by adding a final layer of Sepia. They will have to do for now but I honestly feel the bronze armor can be done a lot better in the future when I am painting. I'll have to come up with a good recipe as I have many Greeks I want to paint at some point. After I figure out how I want to paint Bronze properly I'll be working on the Victrix Roman Velites - Light Infantry / Skirmishers that were the poorest and youngest of any Roman soldier and were more used to Harass or briefly engage the enemy before the Hastati began the initial charge. I am excited to paint their wolf skins. Not every one of them will be wearing skins to give the skirmishing unit a good variety of looks, but having various looking troops like in the start of my Persian unit there always looks great.
That's all for now! Small units in Hail Caesar look pretty small. I may in the future add a third rank to theses units to make them look beefier.. but until then, I'll keep the minimum requirements so I can get into a game faster >;D


No comments:
Post a Comment